Thursday, August 25, 2011

Book Snippets: Anne Lamott


I feel as if I've found a fairy godmother.
Like many people who love reading, I like to imagine from time to time that I could also be a writer (if that actually happens, I will be sure to let you know.) I had heard many times about a book called Bird by Bird.




I grabbed it from my library and spent a week or so reading a short chapter or two each day. It always left a smile on my face. This is a book full of advice about writing, but it's so much more than that. It's a book about making art and living fully and really seeing what is happening in the world around you.
Anne Lamott is extremely funny, endlessly insightful, and a beautiful writer. Her advice is honest, but so encouraging. With every word, you feel that she believes in you without ever having met you. I would love to have her sit on my shoulder like the little angel of old cartoons. She could encourage me and once in a while tell me an outrageous joke. I have added everything she's written to my TBR list. If you haven't read anything by Ms. Lamott, get to it - she will encourage your heart and make you laugh...out loud - you know, the really loud laugh that causes your husband to come in from the other room to see what is so funny.
Thank goodness for Anne Lamott and her genuine, kind, beautiful writing.


No comments:

Post a Comment