Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Wednesdays with David: Wednesday is Spaghetti Day

Wednesday is Spaghetti Day
Written and Illustrated by Maryann Cocca-Leffler
Scholastic 1990
Suggested Age Range: 4 and up



This may be the most perfect book we have ever featured here on a Wednesday, because....well...today is Wednesday. Also David loves pasta. He loves it so much that I worry one day I will go to wake him up and find a giant noodle instead of a little boy.

So, in this book, Catrina the cat is waiting for her family to get themselves out the door to work and school. Today is Wednesday and on Wednesday, all of her cat friends come over to make lunch. Once the family leaves, Catrina and her friends start to make an excellent meal - spaghetti, bread, juice, salad, and even spumoni ice cream. But can they finish their feast, clean up, and sneak back home before the kids get home from school?

I enjoyed this book. The premise is original and the illustrations are wonderful. David thinks this book is hilarious. We have had it out from the library for weeks and weeks. He even insists on looking at it while he eats (it smells slightly of maple syrup...please forgive us, librarians!)


Thoughts from David:

Why do you like this book? "Cuz when they scream because the school bus turned the corner. I like it because they make food. They make spaghetti."
Do you like spaghetti? "Sure do!"

What is your favorite part?  "They are going to have guacamole day tomorrow and when the kids don't even see the cat leaving the house."


Usually, I post a charming picture of David reading. But this is the week after Halloween. I would be remiss if I did not leave you with this:



The first picture is David at our church Halloween party, dressed up as Buzz Lightyear of course. (And yes, that is his boot on the table.) The second is David right before trick-or-treating with my sister. I hope you don't mind I put your lovely face on my blog, SG. At least now I will know if you are reading!
David will be back next Wednesday. Tomorrow I will have my review up of The Borrower by Rebecca Makkai. Have a great week, wonderful readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment