Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Wednesdays with David: Harold and the Purple Crayon

Harold and the Purple Crayon
By Crockett Johnson
Harper Collins 1955
From our happy, messy pile of books

 

The story: Harold decides to go for a self-made moonlight stroll. With the help of his trusty purple crayon, he is able to create a forest, a picnic, an ocean, a fierce dragon, a city, and finally his own bedroom so he can sleep after his adventures.  

Mama opines: David loves this book. We got it for him for Easter two years ago (you have to include some non-chocolate goodies, right?). Somehow, though, I had never read this book as a child. Now I love reading it with David. The text and the pictures are so simple, but I love what it says about childhood, art, and imagination. It certainly gives you some impetus to set your little one free with some crayons. Just make sure they are working on paper or another approved medium and not your walls! (PS - If this unfortunate event does occur in your home, I would suggest Mr. Clean Magic Eraser....not that my precious son has ever decorated our walls or anything like that...)

Thoughts from David: Let’s see. I know! I like it because he drops off to sleep. I like when he makes tall buildings, bigger than a house!
Favorite part: When he walks on the straight path, so he won’t get lost.


Happy Reading!
 

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is a lot of fun. I love that it encourages creativity.

      Delete
  2. This book is so great! A child favorite, always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I can't believe I never found it as a kid.

      Delete