Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Wednesdays with David: Why Do Volcanoes Erupt?

Why Do Volcanoes Erupt?
By Wil Mara
Marshall Cavendish Corporation 2010
Part of the "Tell Me Why, Tell Me How" series
From the library


The story: This book explains the what, why, and how of volcanoes. It is broken up into chapters that are only a few pages long and it has lots of pictures and questions to ensure comprehension. You can find the classical baking soda and vinegar volcano experiment, a glossary and further resources at the end of the book.

Mama opines: I'm trying to get David to branch out into some non-fiction books. My husband recently had the joy to come home and discover me reading to David about Nascar...it was a strange experience for me as well. We've also taken books out from the library about dogs (which we are still not getting!), astronauts, and now volcanoes are our current interest. I thought this book was perfect for the preschool/early elementary age group. The chapters are short and accessible, but still give a lot of information. David now knows things like the three layers of the earth, and the difference between magma and lava. The "Tell Me Why, Tell Me How" series has books on a ton of subjects like hibernation, rain, seasons, and plants. We will definitely be looking for more of these books as I try to mix things up on our library trips.

Thoughts from David: I like it because I really really love the part where the volcano erupts. I love this part where it says "why do volcanoes erupt?" (the cover).
Favorite part: I love this part! (points to the layers of the earth diagram)


Happy Reading and watch out for those volcanoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment