Sunday, August 19, 2012

It's Monday...what have you been reading??


Hello, bookish friends! How are you doing? The husband, the sister, and I had a wonderful time seeing Into the Woods in Central Park on Monday. It was an amazing production. If you live in the NYC area (and are willing to sit in line for half of the day) you should definitely check it out. The show is all about fairytales, and the characters include Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, and Jack (the kid from that whole beanstalk debacle). Here's a picture of one scene. I don't have any personal pictures - the Shakespeare in the Park people are notoriously strict about not allowing audience members to take pictures.

The Baker and his Wife agonize over the price of 'a cow as white as milk'
and young Jack wonders if he can part with his best friend.
source

Also, if any of you live in Central NJ, I will be performing in a music festival this Saturday afternoon. It should be a good bunch of performers. If you are in the area and interested, send me a message and I will let you know the details.

Read This Week:
A Soft Place to Land
A Soft Place to Land
By Susan Rebecca White

The Song of Achilles
The Song of Achilles
By Madeline Miller

The Siren of Paris
The Siren of Paris
By David LeRoy

Posts from this Past Week:
It's Monday
Wednesdays with David: The Dump Man's Treasures 
Reviews of The Chaperone, Girl Meets God, and Gone Girl

Reading Now:
The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry
The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry
By Rachel Joyce

Up Next:
Tender is the Night
Tender Is the Night
By F. Scott Fitzgerald

What did you read this week?

23 comments:

  1. sounds like a wonderful show!
    and worth the sit in for tickets :)

    reading this month on the Jane Austen theme w/ 2 reading challenges, Austen in August! loving it's focus to get thru the many in my stack :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy the rest of your Austen reading!

      Delete
  2. Tender is the Night is a good one. My favorite though is The Beautiful and the Damned. Happy reading!

    I had a fantastic week of reading so it's really difficult to pick a favorite book. I'm going to have go with a fan girl response and say the best (out of an extremely good set of books) was The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There by Catherynne M. Valente. Please come and see what else I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read all of Fitzgerald's novels, but not all within the same year. It's interesting to compare them.

      Delete
  3. It sounds like a lovely production. Good luck with your concert at the weekend!

    Have a great reading week!

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am hopeful that the concert and the reading will go well. :)

      Delete
  4. These reads look enjoyable!

    Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you are having a great week too. :)

      Delete
  5. Such a great variety of reads! I'll be interested in seeing what you think of Tender is the Night.

    Here's my It's Monday! What Are You Reading? I hope you will stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A Soft Place to Land looks intriguing...and I think it would be wonderful to see a production in Central Park. Wish I didn't live all the way across the states!

    Thanks for visiting my blog, and enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great show. We are lucky to live in a place in NJ with good access to NYC and Philadelphia.
      I hope you have a wonderful week too!

      Delete
  7. Into the Woods looks good - especially the puppet cow! I love, love, love fairytales so this would be right up my alley! Good luck for your show next weekend - do you sing, or play an instrument? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be singing and playing keyboard. It's the doing both together that can get tricky! Thanks for the good thoughts!

      Delete
  8. I wish I could travel to New York someday and see the sights and a wonderful play like that. What a treat!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely. I've been to several Broadway shows, but this is the first time I've seen one in the park.

      Delete
  9. You got through so many of the books that I want to read! I hope you enjoyed them all :-)

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Song of Achilles was my favorite of the bunch...so far, anyway. :)

      Delete
  10. A Soft Place to Land looks really well - I think it sounds lovely :)
    Have a great week :) The Brunette Librarian's Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good, but I didn't love it. However, it was just the right kind of book to read on a blanket in Central Park!

      Delete
  11. The Song of Achilles is one of my latest favorite reads, what did you think of it?

    I just read your review of The Chaperone (I'm in the middle of it now) You liked it as much as I am so far.

    We have similar tastes, love reading your blog and I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed The Song of Achilles. Miller is a beautiful writer!
      I'm so glad you are following! I have to see what you think of the ending of The Chaperone...

      Delete
  12. It's a perfect cover for summer, isn't it? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete